Friday, June 6, 2008

Making Up For Missed Posts

I have to start from 3 days ago because I haven't been able to do this. Landing in Entebbe was absolutely incredible. It actually felt like a whole new world. Seemingly very secluded, the airport was very well maintained. There wasn't a gate to the plane either just a staircase. After months of stress and planning, I finally stepped foot on something I have been thousands of miles away from. Africa. Truly magical. It was a special moment for me and I could only imagine what lay ahead.


There were two distinct smells. My original thoughts were of crisp, fresh air and the smell of the earth. But, while breathing deeply I noticed this was not the case. Exhaust, dirt, and sweat were a very overwhelming stimulus. Uganda does not have the same laws as us, obviously. There is no standard on emissions. Black smoke pours from even the nicest of cars. There are also hundreds of motorcycle taxis here.

SERVICE WORK DAY 1
Before we could really unpack we left to help work on a home for a widow of 17 children. Initially, I was nervous to see how bad the situation was, these people never cease to amaze me. I don't think words could even describe how our group felt getting there. The widow has nothing but a small plot of land. The water they drink comes from about a mile away. A few of us and some of the children walked there to get some for the concrete foundations. Their water was dirty and filled with bacteria and most likely diseases. You couldn't pay me to drink this water. I would, for certain, need to be hospitalized. The buckets we also carried were easily 50 pounds. If you can imagine, a boy...skin and bones, probably about 4 or 5 years old, carrying this thing almost a mile through unforgiving land. They walk barefoot as well.


So we celebrated with them and danced. There is a video on youtube. If you would like to watch. ********I'll add the link when I get a chance**************

The widows house was very small and was simply brick and concrete. They fabricate all the tools themselves as well, it was tough getting used to. We probably had a line of 30 people handing bricks to each other. I want to keep this short so I can write about the other days. Watch the video.

No comments: