Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I sleep outside every night.

Alright, I've found some more time to blog! I wanted to talk about our trip to Kamwenge. We had to wake up at 5:00am so we could leave by 6. The bus rides are always terrible to me. I can't get a breath of fresh air and the roads are very dangerous. I also get car sick. Once we got out of the city it was a little better on the jungle roads but still bad. I remember all of us having to get out at least 6 times just incase the bus were to tip over. On top of that it was extremely hot. 
The further we got the more poverty I saw. Turning off a main road, we traveled down a very bumpy, huge pot holes every 5 feet-road. We even got to see some monkeys on the side of the road. When we reached the village, we had traveled 8 hours to see, it was like a miracle to them. We were told that most of these people had never seen a white person before. At first looking at these people was very awkward. Once you cracked even the slightest of smiles their faces would light up. Everyone here smiles at you. It's something I've never really had a chance to experience -not just a lot of people, everyone is happy to see you. The young children want to hold your hand (unless they were afraid and crying- thinking you are a ghost or spirit) and the adults want to introduce themselves to you. Every village we have traveled to has sang for us. In each song- "We're happy to recieve you!" You can tell that this was making their whole year, to know that someone actually cared about them. Some vilagers even said that this (today) was a new holiday for them. 
I've been living and reacting to all these circumstances lately with an outsiders view, even as I am here. I was finally awakend in the moment when a young lady walked up to me and asked me for help. She was very pretty. She told me to look at this young boy. She said that he had not walked or talked since he was born. I felt strange diagnosing someone but I wanted to check on him anyway. When I walked over to him his grandmother was holding him, she explained that his parents had both passed away from AIDs. I asked how old the boy was and they said 4 years old. Wow, for the past four years they have been worried sick about this boy not being able to take him to a doctor. I can only imagine how painful it must be to not know what is wrong with your kid. My only clue was that he had a server case of a mental illness. If you think about it, all the young babies feeding from their mothers - their mothers are already sick with some disease or illness - they are giving their young their diseases and there is nothing they can do about it. If they did not feed them they would die. One beautiful thing I've seen from these people is they come together to help those in need. Each village has so many orphans. Without even a question adults take in these children as their own. Ive learned an interesting statistic as well - "Most Africans do not know how old they are or when they were born." That is very sad to me. 
I also know that when we enter a village they are wearing their best outfit. (If they knew we were coming, which they usually do) Some look very nice and their clothes arent dirty at all. Some don't have that luxury. They are seen wearing extremely dirty clothes, ripped and hanging off their bodies. This usually exposes their wounds and cuts. It takes a lot longer for them to heal because they will always become infected. They do not even have bandages. 
I was asked today if I would live here if someone gave me a million dollars. Well- you wouldn't have to give me any money. This trip has opened my eyes. I cant even begin to explain how hard it will be to be back in the United States. Even if I explain my journey, it will be very hard for people to understand exactly what I saw.- or even care at all. Right now I am using all of my senses. For them -Looking at a picture is one. Hearing a story is one. It kind of reminds me of veterans of war. They come home changed and in need of support. When, in most cases, will be ignored or pushed aside. People just don't understand. This is a new standard for me now. How could you just live your whole life not knowing what's happening around you. Will I buy that big screen t.v. I've always wanted? Is my life the most important to me? People are suffering all around, and it doesn't matter where. We are human beings, we all need to help, love and support one another. For those who are taking the time to read this, don't go through life only asking yourself- Where will my career take me? What possessions will make me happier? Where will I be in 10 years? I guarantee you will recieve more satisfaction in your life by reaching out to those around you, even if they are 10,000 miles away. Please leave your comfort zone- dont stand still -open your mind-open your heart, and prove to yourself you can. You can make a huge different, even here... a smile can give someone hope. 
I was thinking that this whole time I needed to come here and work and help them do things. I dont need to do any of that. I just need to be here for them. That's what these people care about. They want you to touch them and embrace them. They want to feel love, it means the world to them to see that you are taking time off your life to be there. Just be there.
We should use these people as an example in our own lives. They seem richer than us and they have nothing... but eachother. 

4 comments:

Mommydearest said...

My heart is sooo full! Those are THE most Beautiful and profound words you have ever written.

Anonymous said...

I wish very much that i could be there aswell. it sounds like you are making a huge diffrence over there and it makes me proud to be your friend. your a great man harrison. keep on keepin on. i enjoy reading up on your stories, so please, keep them coming.

- Ryan

Anonymous said...

Harrison, words cannot express how jealous I am of your journey. Sounds like an amazing experience. If only more people cared for the world around them as much there wouldn't be so much pain. Maybe one day people's eyes will open up to the things they don't wish to see. Until then, may you be safe on your journey, and you sir have my utmost respect and regards.

Nabil - At The Funeral

Grant said...

From boy to man, you have grown so much. I am so proud of your early accomplishments; you have a full life ahead to continue this journey. Harrison, keep doing what you are doing. Our world will be a better place as you leave your mark upon it. Your friend for life, Grant