Friday, June 6, 2008

Day 2 and 3

We have traveled about 2 hours to a very poor village. Global Family Rescue has been doing great things for this community. Our job was to help complete their church that has not been finished in many years. It lacked a roof. Keeping in mind, religion and community is everything to these people- in some cases- it's all they have. They did not have enough money for the supplies.

When we arrived we had the most intense welcoming. I never saw it coming. Walking up the road to the church we saw a great number of villagers walking towards us dancing and singing as loud as they could. They even made a sign for us. It was kind of overwhelming. The circled us and gave us hugs and cried. They were so thankful that someone actually was there to help them.

"Body Touch." This is the way the people of Uganda show love for one another. Little kids would run up to me and grab my hands. They were so intrigued by the color of my skin. Chances are they have never seen a white person in their entire lives. Something funny that continually happened was when any of our group would get near a small baby it would start crying. They thought we were spirits coming to take them away. It was a very touching experience. I grabbed my video camera and started filming. I flipped the LCD screen around so they could see themselves. (Nearly all of them had never looked at their own faces before) So, their faces lite up like nothing else. They all seemed very happy.
So, I'm not so good with heights but i volunteered to work on the roof of the church. I don't know why! Remember- the roof is made from wood they find-cut themselves from trees-or buy. When I climbed up to the supporting structure for the shingles I was easily 15 feet off the ground. It was nerve racking. Andy was the only other person to climb up too. I don't remember their names too well but, these two guys were trying to explain to me what to do. I'm happy to say that I was able to help finish the roof of the church but we still had to build the pastor's house. This would come in Day 3.I am really exhausted when I write these and it's sometimes hard to remember everything. OH! The time change...it destroys the average human being. If you live in Chicago take the time and ADD 8 hours. That's what time it is here. Good. ;) More pictures to come!

P.S. I still need to raise 1,500. I'm asking for your help. If you have already donated I am so deeply thankful. Email HarrisonWenger@yahoo.com

2 comments:

StrawberryFire said...

Harrison, you really worked so hard these past two days on the church! I am so proud to have you representing us. You even got on the ROOF to work. The people really appreciated it and when you and Andy took off your shirts to work yesterday, you should have heard the women... doesn't Africa make you feel like a rock star!!!
Michelle

Mommydearest said...

Good Job Harrison!!! you make me soooo proud!!!Keep up the good Works....God Bless 143